As you are planning to have your next vacation in Canada, go through this guide to learn about what no one will tell you about visit visa to Canada application.
Before you can enter Canada, you need to obtain a visa.
However, your purpose determines the kind of visa you obtain.
So, if you wish to tour around Canada for less than six months, you may need to obtain a visit visa to Canada.
How to go about it is the next question, and that’s why we have composed this guide for you.
This guide contains all you need to know about a visit visa to Canada, how to apply and, the requirements, and eligibility criteria.
What is a Visit Visa To Canada?
If you plan to go to Canada for a short period of time, less than 6 months.
You have to get a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) one of which is the Canadian Visitor Visa which is also known as a Tourist Visit Visa for Canada.
The visit visa to Canada is a Temporary Resident Visa which allows the holder to go to Canada for purposes such as:
- Tourism or holidays in Canada.
- Visiting family.
With visit visa to Canada, you are allowed to go to a Canadian port of entry and ask for permission to enter the country.
Meanwhile, the Border Patrol Officers can grant or deny you entry based on your documents and your situation.
Check Out: 10 Best Places to Visit in Canada for 2022
Why You Need to Apply for a Visit Visa To Canada?
Most travellers need a visit visa to gain entry to Canada.
Although there are nationals of countries which will only need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or they are completely exempt.
Also, they can enter free with their passports without needing a visa.
If you aren’t part of those, you need to obtain your visit visa to get into Canada.
Eligibility Criteria for Visit Visa To Canada
You must meet some criteria to be eligible for a Canada Tourist Visa.
These requirements determine whether you are allowed to apply for the visa and hold it.
To qualify you must meet these basic requirements:
- You must have a valid travel document (like a passport)
- You are in good health
- Also, you must have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
- You must be able to convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets, or family that will take you back to your home country.
- In addition, you must convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
- Most importantly, you must have enough money for your stay
However, if you cannot prove that you are eligible for the Canada Visitor visa, you may be rejected based on the fact that you are inadmissible in Canada.
Meanwhile, if you are proven to be inadmissible, you will have to get a Temporary Resident Permit to get into Canada.
Requirements for Visit Visa To Canada
To apply for a Visit Visa to Canada, you will meet rhe basic criteria listed above and also have to submit some documents which are:
- Standard Canada visa requirements
- Canada Tourist Visa Application Form.
- Bank or other financial statements to prove you have enough funds for the trip to Canada.
- A travel itinerary (if you have already booked your air tickets or just a description of what you plan to do once in Canada).
- A Canada visa letter of invitation from your family or friends if you are visiting them.
- Proof of the relationship if you are visiting your family.
- The immigration statuses of your family or friends if you are visiting them.
- Bank statements or other financial statements of your friends or family if you are visiting them.
- A Declaration Letter from you to the Government of Canada where you explain why they should give you a Tourist visa.
- Two photos that meet the Canada Photo Requirements.
- Your employment or education status through a resume or diploma
- Letter from your employer stating that you have contractual obligations to fulfil and you must return to your home country.
- Proof that your stay in Canada is temporary and that you will return to your home country once your visit is over, such as a lease, property deed, and so on.
- Proof that you do not plan to work or study in Canada.
- Court documents that prove you have a clean criminal history.
However, all the documents that are in another language other than English or French should be translated.
How to Apply for A Visit Visa
There are several steps to take to apply for the Canada Visitor Visa. Also, there are several forms to fill out during the application process.
Below are the steps involved in applying for a visit visa to canada.
- Confirm your eligibility for the Canada visitor visa.
- Complete the documents required for a Canada tourist visa.
- Submit the Canada Tourist Visa Application form.
- Wait for processing and respond to additional requests for information.
- Send your passport for stamping.
How Much Does A Visit Visa Cost?
The application fee per person for a visit Visa is CAD$100. Also, submitting the biometrics will cost you an additional CAD$85.
In total, the whole cost of just applying for this visa is CAD$185.
In addition, you will also have to pay for the passport processing which will cost around CAD$45.
Related post: 30 Highest Paying Per Hour Jobs In Canada
When to Apply for a Visit Visa.
The time ranges for processing the visa is 8 to 40 days.
However, the processing time is different depending on the country you live in. So, you will have to wait around 1 month for your Visitor Visa to be processed.
How Long is the Visit Visa Valid?
The Canadian Consulate decides how long to give you the Tourist Visa for Canada on a case-by-case basis.
However, there are cases when they only give the visa for that timeframe that you want to visit Canada, and then there are also cases when they give you the visa until your passport expires.
This all depends on whether they believe you will return to your home country or not.
Meanwhile, you are not allowed to stay for more than 6 months at a time.
After 6 months you must return to your home country, stay for some time and then you can return to Canada again for 6 months.
What Can I Do With A Visit Visa in Canada?
With the tourist visa, you are allowed to travel around Canada for less than 6 months as long as you are in good financial standing.
But, you are not allowed to get Canadian documents or stay in the country permanently.
Also, you are not allowed to work or study, and you will not be allowed to file for health care or other governmental benefits.
Visitor Visa to Canada Extension
If you want to stay longer than 6 months in Canada with a tourist visa, you will need to apply for a visitor visa extension.
This extension is called a Visitor Record.
The visitor record is an independent document which the IRCC gives you when they approve your application for visa extension. It is not attached to your passport.
Also, the visitor record includes the date by which you have to leave Canada and it is only available while you are inside Canada.
Moreover, if your visit visa is about to expire, and if you want to leave Canada and re-enter, you have to apply for a new visit visa.
However, you can use a visitor record if you want to change your status from a:
- Study permit to visitor record
- Work permit to visitor record
Kindly note that you have to apply for a visa extension for Canada (visitor record) at least 30 days before your visitor visa expires.
How to Apply for a Visit Visa Extension (Visitor Record)
There are two ways you can apply to extend your visa for Canada: you can apply online and on paper.
1. To Apply Online
You must have an account on the IRCC website.
Also, you will also need to visit IRCC’s website to read the instructions guide for extending a visa.
You also have to scan your documents to create electronic copies, which you can submit on the online application tool.
In addition, you will need a valid credit/debit card to pay your fees.
When applying and the question “What would you like to do in Canada?” appears, you should select “Visit.”
Then, on “What is your current country/territory of residence?” answer “Canada.”
You must then complete the rest of the application as instructed.
2. To Apply With a Paper Application
You have to download the application package available on IRCC’s website which includes document checklists, application forms, and application guidelines.
Read the application guidelines, provide all the necessary documents and pay for the fees.
Meanwhile, you have to print the application forms that are on the application package and sign and date them where required.
You must attach all the required documents and fees to the completed application.
Lastly, mail this application to the address stated on the application package.
Requirements to Apply for a Visit Visa Extension.
Below are what you need to apply for a visitors record:
- The application forms
- Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder (IMM 5708)
- Use of a Representative (IMM 5476)
- Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual (IMM 5475)
- Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409) (If applicable)
- The documents
- Payment receipts
- Photocopies of passport pages. They must include:
- Name and birth date
- The passport number
- Date of expiry
- The stamp of your most recent entry into Canada
- All other marked pages
- If you did not enter with a passport, you must provide photocopies of your other travel or identity documents such as an alien registration card, birth certificate, citizen certificate etc.
You may also need:
- Photocopy of your current immigration document.
- Marriage certificate.
- Proof of sufficient financial means.
Meanwhile, the online application is much faster and more convenient as you can submit it directly, it is processed faster,
Also, in case you have to provide more documents, you can do it instantly online. You can also avoid carrier and mailing fees.
The visit visa to Canada is a Temporary Resident Visa which allows the holder to go to Canada for purposes of visit or tourist.
However, the holder of this visa can only stay in canada for just six months.
To apply for this visa.
You must meet some eligibility requirements and must submit some documents such as Canada Tourist Visa Application.
Another document you will need to submit is your Bank or other financial statements to prove you have enough funds for the trip to Canada.
A travel itinerary (if you have already booked your air tickets or just a description of what you plan to do once in Canada)
You will also need A Canada to visa letter of invitation from your family or friends if you are visiting them, Proof of the relationship if you are visiting your family.
The immigration statuses of your family or friends if you are visiting them, Bank statements or other financial statements of your friends or family if you are visiting them.
A Declaration Letter from you to the Government of Canada where you explain why they should give you a Tourist visa., Two photos that meet the Canada Photo Requirements.
Your employment or education status through a resume or diploma, Letter from your employer stating that you have contractual obligations to fulfil and you must return to your home country
A Proof that your stay in Canada is temporary and that you will return to your home country once your visit is over, such as a lease, or property deed.
A Proof that you do not plan to work or study in Canada, and Court documents that prove you have a clean criminal history.
Moreover, you will spend $185 in total to apply for this visa.
If there is a need for you to extend your stay in your canada with your visit visa, you must apply for a visiting visa extension also called the visitor records.
We hope you find the article insightful.
Don’t forget to check back for a more interesting piece.
Recommended for you
- How To Be Immigrant in Canada: 5 Easiest Ways
- Canada Permanent Resident Requirements For 2022
- What Is The Average Salary in Canada?
- Jobs in Canada For Foreigners with Visa Sponsorship (2023)
- Government of Canada Jobs 2023
- 25+ Best Scholarships at Canada For International Students (2023)
- 30 Highest Paying Per Hour Jobs In Canada
- Top 30 Work From Home Jobs in Canada You can Start Immediately
- 10 Jobs In Demand In Canada In The Future 2025
- Top 10 Part-Time Work for Students in Canada for 2022